Fungus Gnat

This photo of what is most likely a fungus gnat was taken in Massey Woods earlier today.  AI (Chat GPT) indicated it was a fungus gnat, most likely Mycetophilidae.  I find that AI is not that accurate at identifying the insects in my photos so I tend to use it as a guide to start the identification process.  The photo below shows it among the fungi in the area where I was photographing them.  

I used my 180 mm macro lens on my Canon R5ii with a flash (with a macro diffuser) attached.   I used an aperture of f/10 to try get more of the insect sharp, a shutter speed of 1/200 sec. (limited by the flash) and ISO 1600.  I can't recall the flash settings (and they are not showing in file properties) but I am guessing on that shot I had ETTL with auto ISO.  



Comments